If you would like to explore further than Kookaburra Creek, then here are some fun places to visit while enjoying your time here.
Check out the Melrose Website for more information
MELROSE TOWNSHIP – located at the foot of Mt Remarkable. The oldest town in the Flinder’s Ranges. Est 1853.
Hike to the Mount Summit. Distance 10kms. Will take about 5 hours return. Allow longer for families with younger children. (It took us 7 hours with 4 children!) Avoid hiking on hot days, or leave early.
Always take plenty of water, snacks, and a First Aid Kit.
Melrose Nature Hike – Starting at Melrose Caravan Park, continuing up to Monument and taking you into the hills, past Cathedral Rock, the historic Saw Pit, Copper Mine, Bald Hill lookout and Wilba’s Watch,
(a stone castle built as a memorial for a dearly loved local lad) and the beautiful Melrose Creek, weaving through the shade of beautiful old red gums. Maps can be accessed from the Council or the local Bike Shop.
ADMIRE THE HISTORICAL BUILDINGS – Bluey Blacksmiths, Jacka’s Brewery, Pug and Pine Cottages, Courthouse Heritage Centre.
OVER THE EDGE bike shop – A funky bike shop located in beautiful Melrose. With over 100km of singletrack at our doorstep this is the place to be when you think of mountain biking!
Step inside their shop and you will find a coffee machine that never turns off, homemade cakes, cycling apparel from Clubride and IBEX, Merino woolies from IO Merino bike service, a gift to take home as a momento, friendly faces and most importantly an impressive range of boutique mountain bikes that can be hired out, bought NEW or as an EX rental.
ATORE- a homewares & gift store located in Melrose. They are known for stocking colourful creations from local designers & artists, they also source interesting wares from all around the globe!
JOE’S CORNER – gift shop offer a great range of gifts. http://www.joescorner.com.au
REMARKABLY MADE – Local artwork and produce. Also selling 2nd hand items. Located in front of Melrose Motors.
MELROSE COURTHOUSE HERITAGE CENTRE – Not just another museum, but an adventure into the past of Melrose and Districts.
MT REMARKABLE HOTEL – With a family friendly environment, and friendly service, they offer hearty pub meals and great beer, also offer superb local wine. http://www.mtremarkablehotel.com/
NORTH STAR HOTEL – Boutique Hotel with character, restaurant, café and home to Bundaleer wines cellar door.
BARTAGUNYAH ESTATE – Distance 15kms
Wine tasting and sales, Self Guided 4WDriving, and mountain bike tours.
SPRING CREEK – Distance 5kms
A beautiful place to have a picnic and let the kids explore. Take a walk from here to Goat Rock water fall along the creek. Takes about 3hrs return.
THE BRIDAL TRACK – Distance 20kms
This public access road is a fantastic 4WD road on top of the Flinder’s Ranges, with spectacular panoramic views of the Spencer Gulf and surrounds. Steep ascents/ descents. Closed on Total Fire Ban Days.
Visit the CFS website for updates. The ‘Flinders’ is our area
ALIGATOR GORGE – 24 kms from Kookaburra Creek into the Gorge.
Has an extensive network of bushwalking trails in the Mt Remarkable National Park. Visit their website for info and trails maps.
MAMBRAY CREEK – Distance 50kms
Picnics and bushwalking in the Mt Remarkable National Park.
PT GERMEIN JETTY – Distance 40kms
Pt Germein boasts to have the longest wooden jetty in South Australia and the Southern Hemisphere.
A great place to have a go at fishing. Great crabbing in the summer months. Has the best playground around!
LOCAL SERVICES DIRECTORY
- Melrose general store. ‘Store 54’ – Fuel, Groceries, Breakfast, ‘Eleni’s’ handmade artisan bread all the way from the Barossa! Delicious takeaway. 10mins away
- Mt Remarkable Hotel – bottle shop and meals. 10mins away
- North Star Hotel – meals and wine tasting. 10mins away
- Over The Edge bike store – bike hire, sales and service. 10mins away
- Atore – Homewares and Gifts (next to Store 54)
- Remarkably Made – Local artwork and produce. Also selling 2nd hand items. Located in front of Melrose Motors.
- Jo’s Corner – Gift Shop
- Wazza’s Vault Cafe- Tea/coffee, Breakfast/Lunch. Selling local ‘Workingman’s Block Artisan Bread’. Hand crafted sourdough bread made in Melrose. 10mins away
- Melrose Motors – Mechanical and RAA Services. 10mins away
- Booleroo Centre Hospital, Medical Centre and Pharmacy. 30mins away
- Booleroo Centre IGA . 30mins away
- Wild’s Hardware, fuel and groceries Wilmington. 10mins away
- Wilmington Opp shop, some great bargains!